There are over 90 published studies related to MicroPort’s Medial Pivot Knee System. These studies illustrate patient satisfaction, survivorship and performance.
Please choose one of the clinical areas below to read more about studies on the Evolution®MP knee system:
- Total of 440 patients underwent bilateral TKR using a different prosthesis on each side.5 knee prostheses were used: ACL-PCL retaining, CR, medial or lateral pivot, mobile-bearing, and PS.
- Author concluded the reasons for retention/ substitution of both cruciates may have been from increased stability, proprioception and quadriceps efficiency.
Van Overschelde, 2016
Patient satisfaction at 2 months following total knee replacement using a second generation medial-pivot system: follow-up of 250 consecutive cases
Van Overschelde et al. Ann Transl Med 2016. [View Article] [View PDF]
- Surgeon’s first 224 patients receiving eMP
- After 2 months, patient satisfaction was 94.6%.
- After 1st 50 TKRs, satisfaction rate improved to 99.4%.
- KOOS, ROM, radiographic outcomes satisfactory
Survivorship (how long the knee implant lasts)
An 11- to 15-Year Clinical Outcome Study of the Advance Medial Pivot Total Knee Arthroplasty.
Karachalios ,T., et al. Bone Joint J 2016; 98-B: 1050-5. [View Article] (login required)
- 225 patients – 284 knees
- Average follow-up of 13.4 years (10-15 years)
- 92% of patients were able to perform age appropriate activities with mean flexion of 117 at final follow-up.
- 97.3% survivorship at 15 years (Any Reason)
- 98.8% survivorship at 15 years (Aseptic Loosening)
Enhanced Quadriceps Efficiency
The effect of total knee arthroplasty design on extensor mechanism function.
Mahoney OM et al. J Arthroplasty. 2002;17:416. [View Article] (login required)
- This study compared single- and multi- radius knees and the effect they have the extensor mechanism.
- 83 knees had a multi-radius knee and 101 had a single-radius knee.
- They found that the patients with a single-radius implant gained flexion more rapidly, were able to rise from a seated position quicker without using their arms, and had significantly less anterior knee pain.
Quadriceps and Hamstring Muscle Activation and Function Following Medial Pivot and Posterior Stabilized TKA: Pilot Study
LaMontagne M, et al.
- This study used electromyography (EMG) analysis to examine knee biomechanical function of total knee patients with a Medial Pivot knee during various slopes and surfaces and sit-to stand tasks.
- Specifically, the aim was to investigate the muscle function of the quadriceps and hamstring muscles during certain movements and tasks.
Kneeling Is Safe for Patients Implanted With Medial-Pivot Total Knee Arthroplasty Designs
Barnes CL et al. JOA. 26(4): 549-554. [View Article] (login required)
- 9 ADVANCE Medial-Pivot (MP) and 9 ADVANCE Double-High (DH) TKA’s were analyzed under radiographic surveillance at standing, mid kneeling, and full kneeling.
- In vivo tibiofemoral contact positions were obtained using the 3- to 2-dimensional image registration technique.
- This study indicates that kneeling is safe in MP total knee arthroplasties even in the absence of a cam-post or posterior cruciate ligament.